Summary Reflection

My field of interest is Veterinary work. My topic is on the most humane way to declaw a cat. My whole life revolves around the well being of my animals and the random animals I find and nurse back to help.

During my mentorship at the Mt. Airy Animal Hospital, I ask questions about cat declawing. All the employees always make time to answer my questions and help me with my project. I have been working there for 8 months now and I have learned very valuable information for my project.

On a typical day at mentorship I clean kennels, help hold animals for shots and blood-work, help run blood-work, observe the doctors in surgery and watch them in the rooms. I have learned how to properly care for animals and how to treat them. I have learned how to give medicine to any animal. I have learned how to make sure that cat a doesn’t attack you by learning the proper holding technique, how to know what to expect and help with during a surgery and much, much more. I have also learned how to care for animals after surgery when they are waking up from anesthesia which is very vital. At mentorship I get to observe all surgeries and help the doctors in the rooms. I have seen so many interesting surgeries. Some interesting injuries I have seen include a dog attacked by a deer, a cat attacked by an unknown animal, and a kitten with a broken tail. Some interesting surgeries include a blood transfusion, exploratory surgery on a cat (turns out she ate a beetle and her digestion system couldn’t break it down), a ruptured urethra, an ear repair, and an infected uterus.

I have received all information for my project and completed my paper and virtual abstract. I have gone to my mentorship place and discussed my overall project I also informed the owners there at the time.

Some challenges I am had were trying to create pamphlets for the cat owners with information about cat declawing, also how to mass produce the pamphlet for market use.

I am done researching. I hope my project helps people in my community and helps the animals as well. 

Summary Reflection

When I go to mentorship, i typically clean kennels, help hold animals for shots and blood-work, help run blood-work, observe the doctors in surgery and watch them in the rooms. I have learned how to properly care for animals and how to treat them. I have learned how to give medicine to any animal. I have learned how to make sure that cat a doesn’t attack you by learning the proper holding technique, how to know what to expect and help with during a surgery and much, much more. I have also learned how to care for animals after surgery when they are waking up from anesthesia which is very vital. At mentorship I get to observe all surgeries and help the doctors in the rooms. I have seen so many interesting surgeries. Some interesting injuries I have seen include a dog attacked by a deer, a cat attacked by an unknown animal, and a kitten with a broken tail. Some interesting surgeries include a blood transfusion, exploratory surgery on a cat (turns out she ate a beetle and her digestion system couldn’t break it down), a ruptured urethra, an ear repair, and an infected uterus.

I have learned all about cat declawing. There are many ways to declaw a feline and I have researched them all. I have investigated how declawing works for each method and the complications they have. I have recorded recovery time from surgeries and how they stand up against other methods. I finished all of my research and now I am completing my project.

Some challenges I am having involve how I am going to share my research with other people and research with the owners. I don’t get as much feedback from owners as I would like. I get mostly success stories and a few complications which make ranking the methods of declaw challenging. I want to inform the public about my findings, but my original way of doing so is proving rather challenging.

I am done researching. I hope my project helps people in my community and helps the animals as well. My paper is completed and so is my virtual abstract. I am currently working on finding a new way to show my project and findings to the community.

Summary Reflection

During my mentorship at the Mt. Airy Animal Hospital, I ask questions about cat declawing. All the employees always make time to answer my questions and help me with my project. They have taught me valuable information that will help my research.

On a typical day at mentorship I clean kennels, help hold animals for shots and blood-work, help run blood-work, observe the doctors in surgery and watch them in the rooms. I have learned how to properly care for animals and how to treat them. I have learned how to give medicine to a cat, how to make sure that cat doesn’t attack you, how to know what to expect and help with during a surgery and much, much more. I have also learned how to care for animals after surgery when they are waking up from anesthesia. At mentorship I get to observe all surgeries and help the doctors in the rooms. I have seen many cool things. Some interesting injuries I have seen include a dog attacked by a deer, a cat attacked by an unknown animal, and a kitten with a broken tail. Some interesting surgeries include a blood transfusion, exploratory surgery on a cat (turns out she ate a beetle and her digestion system couldn’t break it down), a ruptured urethra, and an infected uterus.

I have learned all about cat declawing. There are many ways to declaw a feline, but my research only includes three of them. I have investigated how declawing works for each method and the complications they have. I have recorded recovery time from surgeries and how they stand up against other methods.

Some challenges I am having involve how I am going to share my research with other people and research with the owners. I don’t get as much feedback from owners as I would like. I get mostly success stories and a few complications which make ranking the methods of declaw challenging. Successes I have had are related to the three methods. The employees at Mt. Airy Animal Hospital have given me their personal experience with the three methods and how long each takes and the results they have had. I am very excited to have this knowledge. Also Dr. Chaconas has told me of his colleagues in the community and their information on the three methods of declaw. The Veterinarians’ feedback will be extremely helpful in my project.

I am almost done researching; I want to make sure I have all the information necessary to help educate owners on my project. I hope my project helps people in my community and helps the animals as well. My paper is just being started, but I feel that it will contain a lot of information about cat declawing.