13 January 2011

3:30-5:30pm   2 hours

Accumulated Hours: 87

After observing and shadowing OT's, PT's, and CHT's for quite some time now I am now questioning whether or not I want to go into this field for my own career. When I first started at Physiotherapy Associates I was intrigued by all the different cases but as time went by different people/patients all kept coming in with the same cases; hand therapy treats every case commonly with the same procedure over and over again. I hated physical therapy when I was a patient and I don't think I would like it any more as a therapist after sitting through mentorship for 87 hours as of today. Becoming a CHT takes 7-8 years of schooling followed by an internship (very similar to mentorship this year for me according to Tracey) and several intense tests. When you put it into perspective I probably will not get settled into a job for about 10 years minimum from the time I start studying at college. My mentor said therapy is something you have to really want, you don't spend your whole life becoming a doctor and keeping that as your number one priority if you don't really want it. I would like to look into different career opportunities from here rather than keeping my mind set in becoming an OT and CHT.