Journal Summary 3 - Third Quarter

||     (January 21, 2010 – April 13, 2010)     ||    Total logged hours: 49     ||

My third quarter of interning at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory consisted of meeting some other employees, completing my research for my project, getting more and more familiarized with the methods and tools with which I am working, and finally finalizing my display board and my paper and presenting them at the school-wide and county-wide science fairs.  After completing my experiments with the portable GPS Data Logger, lent to me on the first day of my internship, I learned how to manipulate the data so that it can be easily read and understood.  I wrote a paper (entitled "Problems and Uncertainties of Global Positioning System [GPS] Data Logging Equipment"), which explores the factors that may limit the accuracy of the Global Positioning System (and includes data from my three major experiments).  At the Atholton High School Science Fair (Wednesday, January 20, 2010) and the Howard County Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Fair (Saturday, February 20, 2010), judges evaluated my display board and presentation of my display board.  My judges were all incredibly nice and supportive -- one judge gave me advice on college and how to get an internship at his company (Lockheed Martin) during college!  He told me he was sure I would be successful one day and also told me how great it is to be a female engineer.  Besides him, I had a great amount of judges and parents that were not my official judges, but who stopped by my board to ask me about my topic!  My mentor also introduced me to Image Processing with MATLAB (through textbooks and demos).  We are ending off the quarter with a lovely Mentor Appreciation Dessert, but my mentor unfortunately can not make the dessert (but I always show him my appreciation anyway, of course!).