Margo Johnson

10 November 2009

(County Presentation Reflection)

The audience of my countywide presentation was a group of other students who are enrolled in the Intern/Mentor program and who are researching a topic related to engineering or computer science.  13 students were in attendance with me at Howard High School on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 from 3:00 – 5:00 PM.  Personally, my presentation went well overall, but if I could redo my presentation, I would change a few things.  For one, I messed up with the clicker (that changes slides) -- not once, but twice.  It is a most simple device, but I pressed the wrong button (after I had pressed the right button and it had not worked).   It turned out that I just had to press the button with more pressure.  Even so, I was one of the only people who messed up with it, so I was embarrassed.  Besides this, I spoke incredibly quickly!  I knew this would be a problem because when I get nervous I speed up greatly; if I could redo my presentation, I would definitely slow down.  Based upon the other presentations in my session, I would have only changed one thing; I would have explained my first visual better, or more thoroughly.  Other students did a great job of explaining all of their visuals, but I only thoroughly explained visuals on 2 of the 3 slides in which I had visuals.  Aspects of my presentation that were exceptional were 1) my introduction, which caught the attention of the audience very well, 2) my Google Earth screenshot slides, which were interesting and easy to understand, and 3) the length of my presentation, which was perfectly between 4 and 5 minutes.  In my December classroom presentation, I will not change much; I will explain how GPS works more clearly and in an easier-to-understand way, I will try to slow down my pace greatly, and I will integrate the first visual more into my speech.