Margo Johnson

12 December 2009

(Classroom Presentation Reflection)

On Friday, December 11, 2009, I presented to a Computer Science I class at Atholton High School.  There were approximately 25 students in attendance in Mrs. Reynolds’ room, and I presented about fifteen minutes into third period -- around 9:30 AM.  Overall, the presentation went very well.  If I could redo my presentation, I would only change the rate of my speech – I tend to speak quickly when I am in front of an audience.  However, I believe that I spoke more clearly and definitely slower than I did at the county-wide presentation (probably because there was no time limit for this presentation).  I also spoke at a good volume; although it was a large room, I believe no one had trouble hearing me.  Compared to the county-wide presentation, I was definitely more interactive with the audience.  I spoke more about MATLAB (and added a few slides about MATLAB) in this presentation because it was a computer science class; in doing so, I asked the audience some easy programming questions.  During the county-wide presentation, I only spoke to the audience, I did not ask any questions.  Parts of my presentation that I believe were very good were 1) the introduction, which caught the attention of the audience, and 2) the MATLAB slides, which showed simple and concise examples of MATLAB code.  There were several questions asked after my presentation, which I believe helped me greatly.  Because no questions were allowed to be asked at the county presentation, I was happy to find that answering questions was not as nerve-wracking as I believed it might be.  The questions that students asked were straightforward and I believe I gave insightful answers.  I understand that throughout the Intern/Mentor program, I will be required to answer many questions (during the Science Fair, for example), so I believe this presentation was very good experience and practice.