Summary Reflection: March 17, 2011

Write about past, present, and future aspects of your topic and field of interest.  Write a narrative summary of what you have learned during the third marking period.  Consider all mentorship experiences and readings.  Reflect on the challenges, questions, and successes you have had to date.  Include examples of the work you are doing, if possible. 

This quarter, my Mentorship experience has really evolved. My time spent on site has continued to show me all the aspects of the field of prosthetics and introduced me to the up and coming technological advancements. My mentor also spends a great deal of time at Johns Hopkins Hospital and has many connections to the new advancements going on there involving the incorporation of surgeries. I was able to accompany Mark to a seminar given by a colleague of his a few weeks ago. I've also continued to sit in on patient appointments and it has exposed to not only to how these people's complications are dealt with, but also a realization that a large majority of the amputations were due to complications from diabetes. The other portion of my time on site was spent in the back shop working with the technicians. At this time, I think I will be using what I learned about the process of making a prosthetic as my paper topic since I went through the entire process to make my test dummy. Project wise, my project seems somewhat disjointed; bits of information on lots of aspects with no overriding connection. I have the patient aspect, the process of making the prosthetic aspect, the tests I did proving the effects of holes on the over all vaccum of prosthetics, and information on how to reduce sleeves getting holes. I also want to find a way to incorporate all of the visual documentation I've taken at my mentorship including pictures of the process of making a prosthetic and videos of the tests I ran showing the vaccuum seal and the effect of a hole in the sleeve.

Example Image