The Clan of the Cave Bear

Jean M. Auel 1986

Gold Standard "Classic" by Replication Justification

0% Ayla is found by the Ursus Clan  Inciting incident
10% Brun decides Ayla should live at Iza/Mog-ur's hearth  
20% Iza has Uba; Ayla brings a rabbit into the cave, bringing disturbance, though Creb decides she should be trained as a medicine woman  
25%  Ayla sees the men hunting, and she secretly steals a leftover sling and begins to teach herself
Door, acceptance that she is different
30% Broud starts antagonizing Ayla again after a long time after the initial attack  Conflict
40% Ayla is allowed to go along on the mammoth hunt  
50% Ayla is accepted as the first female hunter  Midpoint
60% Ayla hides with her son Durc so they don't kill him  
70%  Killing the bear at the group meeting

75%  All the other clans like Ayla because she was brave and tried to help the guy who got hit by the bear; Ayla witnesses the secret ceremony causing spiritual rift that Creb cannot forgive; explain that this is the death of the Clan of Ursus

80%  Uba leaves the hearth causing more friction between Creb and Ayla that Ayla tries to resolve by pampering him

90%  Broud becomes leader; Creb dies; Ayla is banished

100%

Ayla goes to find others like her

In my personal opinion, I got continually bored while reading this book.  It's not that I found the subject, plot or story construction boring per se, but I think the problem lay in the writing approach.  I don't know exactly what it was, but every few pages, I found that there were paragraphs of description that I could skip and be no less informed, so I did.  I did this for pages at a time actually.  I would read and read, realize that I wasn't learning anything and skip ahead to the action.  As I was going back to analyze percents, this tendency towards Dickens-style writing was evident.  The majority of the text was reflection, internal debate, and environmental description, most of which was either repetitive or irrelavent.  This story did not follow the regular template I don't think, but I'll go back to do real mapping instead of estimating at a later point.