What specific area(s) within the field will be investigated, researched and/or studied?
- The Humanities Field
- Specifically Story Structure: Modern and Ideal defined as "classic" versus "non-classic"
- Subjects include movies and novels.
How will knowledge or ability in the field be acquired, developed, and demonstrated through the year?
- Data Aquisition consists of analyzing subjects according to a reshaped algorithm and classifying subjects as "classic" or "non-classic"...then comparing that classification to the GOLD STANDARD's classification of those same subjects.
- Analysis measurements include sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy.
- Consultation with author Amy Deardon will continue at points of struggle if neccessary.
- *Measurement of success for the Interns of America project will be the success in expansion of contact network and establishment of a scholarship fund for this year's GT Fair.*
What will be the product(s) and/or outcome(s) of the internship?
- Product = a revised algorithm that has higher sensitivity/specificity/accuracy scores. If time allows, findings will be published alongside formal release of The Story Template book.
- Interns of America Product = a scholarship fund and website on which current students, mentors, and alumni will create profiles.
- NASA Product = AstroBot and my increased understanding of software development, particularly C++.
What proven need will be addressed? What real problem will be solved? What question will be researched?
- Can story structure errors be corrected in an objective fashion using objective criteria? Or is the field best left up to the artists, intuitively guided.
What is the intended audience for the project? Who, other than the student, will learn or benefit as a result of the work? To whom will the outcomes be communicated? For whom is the product or result intended?
- The project results are intended for author Amy Deardon, editors who are interested in an adaption of the Story Template that may offer synthesis to their critique process, and authors who are struggling to refined previously rejected manuscripts.
Will the audience be local, state or national? Note: The mentor, the student, and the program coordinator should not be the only audience.
- Audience range is unknown; advertising is needed to expand the network, however findings will be applicable to nationally based readers.
How will the product and outcomes be communicated to or performed for the selected audience? What will be the outlet vehicle?
- A supplement documenting this study will be published alongside the final release of The Story Template. Excerpts of my research were being reviewed for inclusion in the body of work itself as it was in draft form last year. I intend to follow-up on that instance.
What resources will be required for the project? (human, print, organizations, media)
- Many movie and novel sources, both classic and non-classic as defined by the gold standard.
What are the special considerations of the project? (cost, materials, equipment, transportation, special permission, printing/distribution)
- The sheer time it takes to dissect each and every story is exhaustive, thus the reason for the small sample size this year, however methods have been revised to make the process a bit more efficient.
What is the tentative schedule and timeline for completing the project? What major goals will be accomplished during each marking period?
- AstroBot research was finished in August.
- Data Collection will be absolutely finished by the new year.
- The final report will be finished by the new year as well.
- Fundraising item will be established by Christmas.
- GT Fair will be executed in April.