My name is Emily Schultheis; I am currently a junior at GHS.  I have benefited from three consecutive years of the Independent Research/Mentorship Programs.  In previous years, I dedicated much of my creative energy to scientific research, particularly robotics and optical engineering.  

From an intense study of the traditional sciences, I hoped to develop an understanding and appreciation for the scientific element and thought process.  I have now decided to explore a different and equally compelling aspect of human ingenuity: artistic expression – in the context of this research I will explore the ideal design of modern story.

Slide 12

To qualify as a classic by the Story Template Algorithm’s definition, the subject must meet a set requirement for inclusion, duration, and position of 16 story components.  These components include elements of plot, character roles, themes, chords, character strands, and other elements. 
Eventually these scores for all variables were compiled into one assessment: whether the Story Template Algorithm identifies the subject categorically as a “classic” or “non-classic”.  To be identified as a “classic” according to the Story Template’s definition, the subject was required to exhibit all 16 of the isolated components.  If one of these components was lacking, the subject would therefore be identified as a “non-classic”.