Amanda Matthews

3rd Period

2/10/10

Interview with Janet Street

Physical Therapist
Carroll County Public Schools

Part I: Interview Questions 

1. What do you read in order to stay current in your field?

I read the Physical Therapy, the journal of the  American Physical Therapy

Association, Pediatric Physical Therapy, PT in Motion, and Advance for PTs.

2. To which professional associations do you belong? Do they publish informational newsletters?

I belong to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), Maryland Section and Pediatric Section.  They publish the above journals: Physical Therapy, the journal of the  American Physical Therapy Association, and Pediatric Physical Therapy.

3. Is there a professional library to which I may gain access?

Not that I am aware of.

4. Do you subscribe to professional periodicals or publications? How might I gain access to these?

The periodicals are included as part of the annual dues for the APTA.  The abstracts are available online at the APTAs website.  The full journal is available to members only.

5. Do you know of a particular web-site which would be helpful in my exploration of this topic?

www.apta.org  is the APTAs website.  www.pediatricapta.org is the website for the pediatric section of the APTA

6. Are there other people in this field to whom I should speak or write?

There is a wide scope of practice in the field of PT.  In order to get a full picture of the field, I would try to talk with a variety of clinicians, including those in the hospitals, outpatient, and rehabilitation.

7. Have you authored any published material? How might I gain access to this material?

I have not published any material.

8. What are the basics I should know? Where could I obtain them?

Physical therapy is based on a medical background.  The basic biology and human anatomy courses are the basis for the PT curriculum.  Most PT curriculums require student to volunteer in a PT setting prior to attending school. 

9. Is there specialized language I should know in order to pursue this topic? Can you direct me to useful glossaries?

There is not a specific language you would need to know to pursue PT. 

Part II: Interview Questions 

1. How do you stay up to date with all the advancements in physical therapy?

I read the journal published by the APTA and attend continuing education classes throughout the year.

2. What methods do you use in physical therapy?

In the school and infant and toddler area, where I work, I use strengthening and stretching activities, handling techniques to encourage patients to move in specific patterns, NDT (neuron-developmental treatment), gait/mobility training and sensory strategies.

3. What method do you think is most effective?

I feel a combination of the above are usually the best treatment, although

each patient is an individual and specific techniques may vary patient to patient.

4. What type of college education do you have?

I have 3 years of under grad and 3 years of a Masters of Physical Therapy .

5. What causes people to go to physical therapy?

There are a variety of reasons for going to PT- I typically see children who have a delay in their gross motor skills or have a condition which could put them at risk for a delay.  Frequently clients go to PT because they are in pain, have a musculoskeletal problem, have had surgery and need rehabilitation to return to their prior level of functioning, or for many wellness programs that some clinicians offer.

6. Do you have a license for any other state then Maryland? If so, is there any difference in physical therapy between different states?

I previously had a license in New York State.  There are differences in the practice acts amoung different states.  Each state may require different documentation, continuing education, supervision, and what clinicians are allowed to do within their scope of practice.

7. How many times a week do you recommend patients to come in for physical therapy?

Therapy is based on each child’s specific need.  Therapy usually ranges from one time weekly to one time a month.  I also see patients on a consultative basis to monitor equipment needs or positioning needs of students.

8. How long do physical therapy sessions take on average?

Sessions in the school setting are typically 15 or 30 minutes depending on student need.  In the home visits are usually 45-60 minutes to incorporate parent coaching and modeling.

9. Do you use any type of hydrotherapy or electrotherapy in physical therapy?

I do not use these modalities within the school environment.