Research Proposal

Melody Sahar-Khiz

Intern/Mentor Program

Title: Carrots or Cupcakes? The Consequence of Choice in Childhood Obesity

Project Overview:

I will be studying childhood obesity, prevention methods, and the various factors that influence a child’s health. Since the future health of a child depends on their early nutritional habits, it is important to educate the youth and pregnant mothers as soon as possible about this growing epidemic. As well as a child’s nutritional habits in toddler years, other areas that are associated with childhood obesity are cultural and geographical factors. I will explore these different aspects and use my current experiences at my mentor site by talking to children and parents during their well-visits. By taking a history of each child and parent, as well as discuss with each of the doctors at my mentor site, I will be able to collect information on the normal eating habits of children in society today in order to update the “Suggested Feeding Schedule” created by my mentor site. I will also eventually create a pamphlet which presents all my gathered research information. It targets parents of infants and toddlers in order to increase awareness of the growing issue of childhood obesity and establish healthy habits at a young age.

Problem Stated:

Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and increased health problems. The problem of childhood obesity in the United States has grown considerably in the recent years. Between 16 and 33% of children and adolescents are obese. Overweight children are much more likely to become overweight adults unless they adopt and maintain healthier patterns of eating and exercise. Cultural and geographical factors also influence a child’s health, dependent upon the area they live in and their family’s socioeconomic status they may not have adequate exposure to exercise opportunities and affordable, healthful foods. Through my project, I plan to educate parents about healthy eating and exercise habits as preventative measures against the growing epidemic of childhood obesity. By increasing awareness of this issue, I hope to set establish these crucial habits at an early age in order to prevent future obesity while spreading knowledge on this important health issue.

The audience for my project will be the parents who come to my mentor site for any check-ups or well-visits for their child. The pamphlet I will create will be distributed at the pediatrics office and be available for any children and parents who need more information about their child’s health. My final product may also be able to be put up on the office’s website to broaden the audience.

Objectives:

The product will be a pamphlet available at my mentor site, Dr. Parnes, May, McKay, Lee & Associates, reporting my research about childhood obesity.

The pamphlet will include preventative strategies as well as research about childhood obesity. I will include an updated chart of normal food intake for a pregnant mother and newborn up to toddler years so that parents and young children can compare their own habits and establish new healthy patterns of eating and exercise. The pamphlet will be available to any patient who visits the office, to be taken home and shared with other family members. The suggested feeding chart will be provided to new parents or parents of young children.

Background:

I will acquire my knowledge of the issue of childhood obesity through secondary sources such as books, articles, and journals. I will also use my own personal experiences at my mentor site by observing the children on whom I take an initial history during well-visits. These will give me a first-hand account of children’s eating and exercise habits as well as those of pregnant mothers. Also, I will consult with the other doctors at my mentor site to collect their suggestions for the chart. Since the “Suggested Feeding Schedule” created by my mentor site is outdated and does not represent the current societal trends, I will use my collected research to make an updated version of the chart.

Additionally, I have contact with several professionals in this field who work at my mentor site. I will mainly consult with my advisor, listed below, regarding my work.

Dr. Catherine Mailander (Primary Advisor)

Primary Specialty: Pediatrics

Parnes May Mckay Lee and Assocs
9501 Old Annapolis Road Suite 101
Ellicott City, MD 21042

(410) 992-9339 

Research Methodology:

Research Questions:

How have diets of young children changed or remained the same over time? What is the average amount of exercise children get today? What are some methods that children and new mothers can practice to maintain healthier patterns of eating and exercise?

Research Design:

This study is largely qualitative research. I will read current journals, articles, and books on the topic of childhood obesity. I will also take a history of any pregnant or new mother or infant/toddler and collect information on their current exercise and dietary habits in order to update the chart for suggested food intake.

Logistical Considerations:

For my research, I will be using a variety of research information and tools such as the Internet, electronic databases, and books. In creating my pamphlet, I will use all of those secondary resources as well as a variety of human resources, such as my advisor, the other pediatricians at my mentor site, and various patients at the mentor site who are parents or infants/toddlers.

To complete my project I will need folders to organize my information, as well as stationary and a template or computer program to create my brochure. I will need to establish time to design and print the pamphlets and charts. There will be a printing expense since I will be required to print a large quantity of copies of my pamphlet and chart to be distributed at the pediatrics office. I will also need to pay for gas for my car in order to drive to my mentor site.

Timeline

By the end of November I will have:

-Locate a primary advisor

-Conduct an interview

-Make a formal oral presentation

-Refine my research topic

-Begin collecting current nutritional/exercise habits

-Continue reading journals, articles, etc.

By the end of December I will have:

-Prepare an outline for a research paper

-Acquire necessary skills to complete proposed product

-Finish a draft of my research proposal that synthesizes research on this current health         topic

-Complete my research on factors that lead to childhood obesity

By the end of January I will have:

-Submitted a finalizes version of my Proposal and Annotations

-Contacted any resources and clarified my research questions

-Begun to create an updated chart for “Suggested Feeding Schedule” (AAP) for pregnant mothers and infants to toddlers

By the end of February I will have:

-Completed a Preliminary Abstract

-Composed and completed a research paper

-Conducted original/primary research

-Continued to collect information for my final brochure and feeding chart

By the end of March I will have:

-Completed my brochure and chart

-Compiled all of the information and printed it out to be distributed

-Design a display board to communicate the scope of my research project

-Prepare a proposal to present at an academic meeting

-Give a presentation in a classroom

-Distributed the pamphlet at my mentor site

By the end of May I will have:

-Made final revisions to my work

-Finalized the abstract

-Distributed my final product to my mentor site

-Collect and respond to audience evaluation of the final product (revising as necessary)

-Complete a portfolio that demonstrates all my major assignments for the year

-If applies, present at the end of the year with other students from Intern/Mentor program