Dear Ms. Chappell,            

Hello my name is Molly Rye, and I am a Junior at Glenelg High School . I am currently participating in the Inter/Mentorship GT program through my school, and I am mentoring under a Registered Nurse Practitioner at Montgomery General Hospital . I go to the Hospital once or twice a week and I get to help her take care of patients in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit. I assist her in providing the patients with snacks and warm blankets after surgery, and hooking them up to the monitors that check heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen level. I recently have learned how to take out an IV! When I am not assisting my mentor, she allows me to go and sit in on surgeries. I have seen a Colonoscopy, upper Endoscopy, and a neck procedure. During the neck procedure I was able to talk to the doctor as he preformed the procedure, and stand close enough to touch the patient as he was getting the left value of his neck cleared out. It was clogged which blocked blood from getting to the brain, so the patient was at a very high risk of having a stroke. I am also doing a project for my class where I am investigating if the amount that the nurse interacts with the patient effects their recovery time. I am doing my project as more of a hypothetical investigation because I am not permitted to have that much interaction with the patient. Also my investigation would need a control group which would be a patient that doesn’t receive very much nurse interaction, and the Hospital obviously is not allowed to purposely neglect a patient, so I would not be able to successfully conduct my investigation unless it is hypothetical. I love working with my mentor at Montgomery General Hospital , and I hope to become a Nurse in the future. I have been looking into University of South Carolina , and the excellent Nursing Program that you have. If you could email me back with any further ideas about my project, and helpful ideas to be doing at my mentorship to increase my chances of making it into your college one day that would be fantastic!   Thank you for your time, Molly Rye

Here you can include links to your evaluations.